What we're loving, right now.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

I'm Not a Baker

I love savory cooking. I'm thrilled by the element of improvisation -- winging it when something needs a touch more salt, a drizzle of olive oil. I always make a recipe exactly according to directions the first time, but after that, all bets are off. I'm free to make changes as I see fit.
Baking has always seemed so rigid, so...not fun.

But I acquired a new range last year, and have been enjoying baking more and more. It's a chilly Sunday afternoon, and I had a craving for gingerbread. So I made these gingerbread cupcakes with orange cream cheese frosting. I poked holes in the top of the cakes with a skewer and doused them with a ginger syrup for more flavor and moisture, and sprinkled the icing with chopped up crystalised ginger. Perfect for a winter's day.

Cupcakes and Frosting (I subbed orange for lemon)

Ginger Syrup (I'm saving the leftover to make cocktails and ginger tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment